Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tumamoc Hill, W7/AW-057

  On November 18, 2011, I drove to Tucson to activate Tumamoc Hill.  Tumamoc Hill is a 1 point summit for SOTA "Summits on the Air".  I got to the trailhead (if you can call it that) later than I wanted, but no problem with a parking spot.  Parking is on only one side of a somewhat busy street.  Across the street is a hospital.  Route finding for this summit was very easy as its a paved road all the way to the top.  Several radio towers are at the summit and the whole complex is a 340 acre preserve owned by the University of Arizona.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumamoc_Hill

University of Arizona Science sign with Tumamoc Hill in the background




  Once at the top, I setup on the east side of the summit with an EFHW antenna.
20M EFHW antenna (looking east towards Tucson)




 After calling CQ many many times, I bagged the required 4 contacts for an official activation.  This had to be the noisiest summits I have been on.  I could hear traffic, trains, police sirens from there.
one of many buildings on site
More pictures here:  https://picasaweb.google.com/111647730014658059460/TumamocHill

Many thanks for the contacts!


N7KN
NS7P
KI0G
ND0C


73 Jon N7AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment